By Tom Rodgers
Cancun is one of the most popular destinations in Mexico. It is located on the Caribbean coast so the most common thing to do here is to spend time on the beach. However, it is also rich with the cultural history of the fascinating ancient Mayan people so it is also common for visitors to visit historic landmarks. If you plan on doing those two things then you’ll have a great Cancun vacation. If you want a truly rich vacation in this area, though, you should make sure not to miss out on the following ten things:
1. Coastal birds at Isla Contoy. This gorgeous island off of Cancun is home to one of the most popular nesting places for birds in this region. There are more than one hundred and fifty different species of sea birds to be found in this small area.
2. Interactive Aquarium Cancun. This is another great place to see the area’s animals up close. Sure, you’ll be able to see some dolphins off of the coast of Cancun but at this aquarium you can actually get in to a pool and swim with them! You can also pet rays and touch starfish. This is a fun spot for all ages.
3. Xcaret Eco-Archaeolgical Park. Here is yet another awesome Cancun hot spot for people who are interested in animals especially exotic animals such as jaguars. However it’s also a good spot for people who are interested in the plant life of the area. A greenhouse of orchids is especially popular. Additionally, there are Mayan cultural and educational performances to enjoy at this attraction.
4. Andres Quintana Roo downtown stadium. Any time that you visit a Latin American country you should take advantage of the opportunity to check out a live soccer game. The adventure and excitement is simply not to be missed. Cancun’s team plays in a great new stadium in the city’s downtown area. There’s also a baseball stadium nearby if that’s more your sport although it’s the soccer games that really get intense here.
5. Downtown markets. The downtown area of Cancun is a great area that you should take the time to explore. In particular it’s worth it to check out the various markets that take place here. You can purchase souvenirs and local handicrafts.
6. Senor Frog’s restaurant and dance club. Cancun is a party destination so there is a good chance that you’ll plan on spending some time at the dance clubs. However, Senor Frog’s is more than just a club; it’s a destination. Almost everyone who goes to Cancun checks this spot out at one time or another. Don’t be the only one who doesn’t!
7. Underwater caves at Hidden Worlds. This is an adventure park on the water near Cancun. It has a lot of different adventurous things that you can do such as zip lining. However, the not-to-miss thing here is the option to go snorkeling in the stunning extensive underwater cave system located at the park.
8. Garrafon Natural Reef Park at Isla Mujeres. This is another water park where you can snorkel to see the stunning underwater world around Cancun. It is located on a very popular island that you can ferry to from Cancun. While you’re at Isla Mujeres you can also check out a turtle farm, a historic hacienda and numerous great beaches.
9. Chichen Itza Archaeological Site. This is the most popular attraction for people who are interested in the Mayan history of the region. It has Mayan pyramids and other remnants of the ancient culture. This requires a day trip away from Cancun but is well worth the trek. Another area similar to this that is also worth checking out is Tulum archaeological site.
10. Nohoch Mul. If pyramids interest you then make sure not to miss this tallest pyramid still standing in the Yucatan Peninsula. It’s quite impressive. It’s located on Coba, an undeveloped archaeological site situated in a lush jungle a short trip away from the heart of Cancun.
Tom Rodgers has been involved in numerous ways with the travel industry for over 4 years and is currently the managing editor Airline tickets, an up and coming travel blog.
Photo Credit: Enrique